The original plan had been to head up the East coast of Corsica to Bastia and then across to Elba.
However since there seemed to be a settled patch of weather forecast we thought we would sail up the West coast which is apparently more scenic but also short of bolt holes if exposed to the strong NW winds.
First we dodged the Sardinian Ferry arriving around the entrance to Bonnifacio as we left.![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Leaving Bonifacio we were heading to Anse de Roccapina as recommended by Peter & Luccia who where also planning to anchor there. NE of Les Moines, a very dangerous area of islets, exposed awash & covered rocks. However a two plus metre swell was making it very uncomfortable to even reach the passage so it was a short motor sail of nine miles to Pianotolli in the Baie di Figari instead.
This is a two mile long inlet relatively deserted at its outer end and with many rocky patches and shallows on the approach. In strong S to SW winds the entrance would be dangerous. It looks nothing in the pictures though!
![]()
The pilot book says that on arrival, the harbour master will come out in his rib to help tie up – not today! I did eventually manage to haul up the lazy line attached to a chain that would have done Nelson’s ships proud. We are getting better at this.
Anyway, it is a lovely wee place, quite remote but very pretty and the harbour masters pal did give us a lift into the village.
![]()
![]()
There was a “short cut” that led down & down to nowhere so back up ! You were able see the moorings in the distance though,through the rain forest!![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
As we were recuperating in the usual fashion and feeding the fish, Peter & Lucia arrived. They had decided to give the swell a miss too. That’s them tucked in behind the islet in the distance.
![]()
We would have liked to stay here another day or two but we’re getting on in the season and the prices are going up as we go along, so onwards and upwards quite literally.