Now we had been getting some water in the bilges which I took to be the normal drip from our stern packing gland. (For you non sailors a small amount of water comes into the boat to lubricate the propeller shaft, it is normal). However given the proposed 2 nights and 300 odd miles at sea I thought I’d better take a closer look. It turned out that it was not the packing gland but the rubber coupling which basically “Keeps the sea oot!” had perished and had a hole in it. Not good news.
There then unfolded a series of fun events over the following days which I have précised down:
1. I called an engineer from Pylos, who to be fair came within the hour, and then never returned.
2. We tried to see if we could get lifted out the water, the only really safe way to replace this part, but the local crane driver had hurt his foot.
3. Another French guy on the next yacht (I think thanks to Nicolas’s intervention) said he would do it. “In the water “, if I bought certain tools I didn’t have on board, a heavy hammer, a blow torch and prepared access to the shaft coupling ..…. I did ……. He left. lol.
(To be fair he was on his own and had a weather window – it was after all getting on in the season) & I now have a 10lb hammer and a gas blow torch , always wanted one.
After much thought and anguish we decided it wouldn’t be a good idea to do the crossing so we advised Syracuse we wouldn’t be coming.
We had a farewell aperitif with Nicolas who would go on to Syracuse, I think Mau came out in Sympathy “coz he dun a runner” just as Nicolas on Syeni cast off, lol.
This still left us with the problem and no apparent way to fix it. The best option seemed to be to bodge a temporary repair with insulating tape and make our way to Kalamata, 40 miles & 9 hours away . The decision was made but neither of us slept the night before. Ideally we would have wanted a good wind so that we wouldn’t need to motor. The gods being what they are saw fit to give us only 3 or 4 knots in the wrong direction.
I can honestly say that trip to Kalamata was the most anxious day’s sailing to date, especially the last mile when we could actually see our goal. We had had our emergency grab bag packed and a contingency plan for me to jump over the side and pack the shaft with bits of T shirt. In actuality I think this would’ve been difficult if not impossible with the hull bouncing up and down.
At 16:20 I see from the log we arrived and tied up at Kalamata Marina.